Wednesday 13 May 2020

Crusader Miniatures Anglo-Saxon Command

The finished Anglo-Saxon command stands, foot and mounted. As mentioned previously, these are sold as King Harold by Crusader Miniatures, and like all Crusader figures they paint up pretty quick and easy (the foot banner bearer is a Foundry figure but equally easy to paint). 



I'm not convinced by the historicity of the surcoat on "Harold", or the fluted helmet worn by his mounted banner bearer, but it is what it is I suppose.



The flags came from a seller on eBay. They come attached to long brass spears, but they're made of very thick and glossy card, almost like the stuff playing cards are made from. I removed them from the brass spears, photocopied them onto regular paper and then tarted them up a bit with paint so that the green field wasn't monotone.




Originally I was going to use these to represent Eadric, the Thegn who governed the lands on which St Gurnard's abbey was situated, and to whom Osbert acted as confessor and general sounding board. On reflection, although I like the figures, he just doesn't quite seem right to me. Eadric's character as described in the chronicle is impishly free thinking, but also merciless and savage on the battlefield, whereas this chap seems a bit poncy. I'll need to find some other figure to represent the great Thegn, so for that reason I've given this chap a fairly generic Anglo-Saxon standard rather than Eadric's dragon (or Harold's fighting man). I'm certainly pleased with how these came out, so he'll definitely see service as some un-named Saxon lord.

Here he is, inspiring his troops on horseback.....




....and on foot. 



No comments:

Post a Comment